1.20.2018

watched in 2017


I stopped recording what movies I watched this year when I got to 13, and let me assure you: I watched way more than 13 movies. And so I cannot tell you everything I watched, because I don't remember. BUT I can talk about a few that were notable enough for me to remember when I watched them. Sometimes I'm good at remembering plots and storylines, but not when I watched something, or with whom, etc. Like, my list says I watched 2001: Space Odyssey this year but I feel like I watched it absolute eons ago. Perhaps because this year was extremely long, and very full, and at parts surreal. A lot happened this past year, both to me personally and on the international stage. I also watched District 9, and let me tell you: it is very weird to watch a movie like District 9 amid calls for building a racist wall and deporting refugees. It hits close to home, is what I mean.

Here's a short list of some of the other movies and shows I remember watching:

  • Thor: Ragnarok (17) delightful and genuinely funny, highly recommend. Gonna watch through Taiki Waititi's filmography, I think. 
  • The Monster (25) give me a silent movie and live organ music on Halloween or give me death. 
  • Hidden Figures (16) I've said it before and I'll say it again: this movie is required viewing
  • Contact (97) I loved this. I think it will become a movie I watch again and again. I love Space! I need a big sunhat! I want to read the book! Alright alright alright!
  • Sunshine (07) this was the year of Space Movies, apparently. 
  • Hot Fuzz (07) turns out this movie is a) as delightful and funny as everyone has been saying for ten years, and b) chock a block with really good and inventive storytelling and jokes.
  • Logan (17) the more I think about it the more I appreciate it. It's a logical progression from the previous X-Men movies, and a reflection of the current climate. 
  • Lion (16) I don't know what to say about this movie! It was very good, but everything I say feels irreverent somehow! 
  • Atomic Blonde (17) I will watch any movie that prominently features Charlize Theron kicking everyone's ass.  
  • The Fugitive (93) this one is in the canon for a reason, folks. I didn't kill my wife. 
  • The Castle (97) there's a joke from this movie in Thor: Ragnarok, that's how iconic it is. 
  • Star Wars: The Last Jedi (17) everyone who didn't like this movie can get stuffed. The last couple Star Wars movies have had the thesis "actually, war is bad" and I'm a fan. 
  • Stranger Things 2 (17) Joyce and Steve are the Moms of the Year 1984. 
  • The Good Place (S1) I have only seen season one so if someone spoils this show for me, just remember, I have a very special set of skills. 
  • Brooklyn-99 - this was often our mealtime-tv, and I think we've watched it through like three times now. I love B99
  • Parks and Recreation - the other day I saw someone on twitter say that they didn't like Parks and Rec and EXCUSE ME, how? 
I probably also watched Mad Max: Fury Road, because how is it possible for anyone to go an entire year without viewing that absolute legend. I live, I die, I live again. We are not things. 

As a final note: I CANNOT be the only person who sees this and thinks it was done on purpose: 


4 comments:

  1. Ridiculously, I still haven't seen Logan. I gotta get on it pretty soon; one of my goals for 2018 is to WATCH MORE MOVIES, with no more specific goals specified. Logan would totes help me to my goal, and I hear the little moppet in it is very intense and great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little moppet is INDEED intense and great, and often steals the show. ALSO, just fyi, there is a lot of head-stabbing in Logan, I just want you to be prepared.

      Delete
  2. OMG THE GOOD PLACE I LOVE IT. You must hurry and watch season 2. I also finally started Brooklyn 99 now that it's in syndication and they're reairing all of the episodes (out of order, which is annoying but DVR will fix that)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your movie watching is MOST impressive! I have seen many of these myself, but there are almost as many on your list that I’m not at all familiar with.

    ReplyDelete