8.27.2016

"WRONG LEVER!"


   The movies from the last post:

  • The Emperor's New Groove (00)
  • Galaxy Quest (99)
  • Love & Friendship (16)
  • The Secret Life of Pets (16)
  • True Lies (94)
   I don't think I need to tell you how good The Emperor's New Groove is. Pure gold. 

   Here is a video talking about how Galaxy Quest ought to be considered a comedy classic, and I am in agreement. What a gem of a film. I loled aplenty, as well as feeling genuine emotional attachment to the characters. 

   Love & Friendship easily earned a place in my top-five movies of the year, and I saw it twice in theaters. It is witty and hilarious. Kate Beckinsale plays a woman who is 40 times smarter than anyone else around her and absolutely runs circles around them. She essentially manipulates everyone into doing what she wants and it's amazing. And then! Other women in the movie learn to play the game and it is like this giant battle of wits with a polite veneer on it, it's so good. Here's the trailer. Highly recommended for anyone who likes jokes, banter, or good movies. Watched it twice in theatres. 

   I saw Zootopia earlier this year, and was so thoroughly impressed by it, and I think it may have heightened my expectations for The Secret Life of Pets. Pets was disappointing, racially problematic, and fairly boring. I thought it was going to be fun, and it wasn't. I thought that it would maybe have the same kind of thoughtful commentary that Zootopia did, and it didn't. It had one good joke near the end. Skip this one. 

   A few years back my brother and I spent a great deal of time watching Arnold movies, but somehow skipped watching True Lies. Imagine my glee when I was hanging with some pals and their cat, and we discovered that we were all in the mood for some Arnold time. True Lies  not only includes SEVERAL hilarious lines, it ALSO features and outdoor-to-indoor motorcycle chase when instead of being on a motorcycle, Arnold is RIDING A HORSE, and the horse TAKES THE ELEVATOR, and it is AMAZING.

   Movies! I love them. 

4 comments:

  1. SO good to know that I can/should skip The Secret Lives of Pets. I wasn't sure what to make of it based on the trailer. Now I shall adopt your opinion as my own.

    The Emperor's New Groove is amazing, also. I like it when Kronk sings his own theme music. Patrick Warburton is the BEST.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the future I'm going to watch Zootopia, and forget Pets ever happened.

      My little brother used to sing his own theme music, and so Kronk's singing has this extra warmth and hilarity piled on top of it for me. I love it.

      Delete
  2. HOW DID I NOT KNOW TRUE LIES. I would have previously said I definitely have seen this movie but now it's clear that I had only seen pieces of it and not that scene cos I can't imagine it's possible I would have just forgotten horse in elevator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TRUE LIES IS SO FUN, please watch it. At one point, Arnold has been injected with truth serum and his wife asks if he's ever killed anyone, and he says, "yes, but they were all bad", and it made me lol.

      Delete