3.07.2016

"Two men enter! One man leaves!"


   FOLKS, I sometimes forget how much I like movies and then I watch a bunch of good ones in a row and I'm like "movies are the best" and I am just constantly enamored with STORIES and how people TELL THEM and I've been learning a little bit about film theory and it is making me like movies EVEN MORE.

   ANYWAYS. Here are the movies from the previous screencap post:
  • Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome (85)
  • Matchstick Men (03)
  • Princess Bride (87)
  • Room (15)
  • Zoolander (01)
   If you're wondering how soon Max gets beyond the Thunderdome in Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome, it is pretty much right away. As in Road Warrior and Fury Road, Max isn't a character in these movies so much as a catalyst; things are already happening when he comes on the scene, and would have happened without him, he just sort of trips into playing a part. An accidental, reluctant savior, of sorts. George Miller assigns some messianic imagery to Max, either directly through paintings on walls or indirectly though the structure of the story - where Max arrives, helps a group through violent change, and then leaves the group to build their own lives in his absence and pass their story down. There are believers and doubters in the groups he encounters in the three subtitled movies, along with a Big Bad on the other side. Anyways. Beyond Thunderdome is good! Tina Turner is fabulous! This movie has the least sexual violence out of the series!

   You know how there are some phrases that are weirdly hard to say? Think "rural juror". "Long con" is one such phrase for me, which makes talking about Matchstick Men somewhat difficult. Don't worry though, it's still a good flick. When you watch it you can play a fun game where every time Frank comes onscreen in increasingly ridiculous garb you can say to your movie-watching companion (in my case, boyfriend) "wow, you should get a shirt/hat/outfit like that." It's hilarious, I promise. Also, the first movie I saw Sam Rockwell in was Moon and you NEED to watch Moon asap.

   Highly recommend going to see Princess Bride in a theater full of other people who love Princess Bride. Mega joyful.

   Room is amazing and I cried throughout the whole thing. I wish I had something more intelligent to say than "this movie is important and painful and beautiful, please go see it." Brie Larson won best actress and she deserved it. I haven't read the book yet, but when I got home from seeing the movie I put a hold on all three formats that my library has of it, and whichever one comes in first is going to be consumed.

   I've finally seen Zoolander and so many of the jokes from my youth suddenly make sense. Blue steel.

4 comments:

  1. I would very much like the opportunity to watch The Princess Bride with a theater full of other people who love the movie because THAT SOUNDS LIKE THE BEST. But everyone would prob spend the whole time reciting lines along with the movie which could get super annoying (I would prob be there with them, but I acknowledge the annoyingness of this)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT REALLY WAS THE BEST. I thought it would be quote-along city, but it wasn't! Minimal reciting along! There was lots of delightful stifled pre-laughter, and then just straight-up CACKLING at the jokes. SO GOOD, 10/10 would go again. We went on Valentines Day, it was the ideal date.

      Delete
  2. WHAT! This was your first time seeing Zoolander? I am shocked! I saw it in theaters I THINK when it first came out, and I have been religiously quoting it ever since. There is a lot you have missed out on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your analysis of Max because you're totally right - he's a catalyst, a dude who stumbles onto the scene 'in media res' and just goes with it.

    I wish there was a Princess Bride screening - we would shout out the usual phrases together: inconceivable! my name is inigo montoya! as you wish! ... anybody want a peanut?

    I read "Room", but was hesitant (as always) to watch the movie adaptation of it. However, I've been hearing great things from people who've done both, so I'll be seeing it soon!

    ReplyDelete