10.29.2015

Monkalong: Wrapping it UP


     My teenage love for The Lord of the Rings has been rekindled in a big way these past few months, and I find myself wishing that this readalong post could just be me talking about how much I love Boromir even though it has nothing to do with The Monk. And so: a Boromir gif, special for you.


 THE GREAT EYE IS EVER WATCHFUL.

   Another thing I would like to talk about more than I would like to talk about The Monk is this dance video, it is so dance-y, although somewhat excessive on some points. :


   If that video doesn't strike your fancy, here is another one and it comes with a Childhood Anecdote. My sister and I would sometimes sing this song with each other in the way that other people might sing The Confrontation from Les Mis, and she would always make me be Ramses but I always wanted to be Moses, but she HOGGED THE PART. p.s. how great is Prince of Egypt? Look at your life through heaven's eyes, AM I RIGHT?


    What else would I rather talk about rather than The Monk? So many things but here we are and I can't stall forever. I missed posting last week (to sum up: what the hell mob mentality, murder, rape, kidnapping, crypt baby, sinning in general). And in this section it is much the same, Ambrosio is determined to DO SOME MORE SINS. It is possible that in his monk-education he skipped over that bit of the Bible that says "shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means!"

   BY NO MEANS, AMBRO.

Ambrosio?
   Let's get into it.

   Essentially, MLew is the worst, and after Ambro rapes Antonia MLew quickly replaces her with an equally charm-filled girl whose name literally means "virgin". My ire is somewhat softened by MLew portraying rape/Ambro as truly violent and evil, and not making Antonia secretly enjoy it or something. We all knew this was coming the whole time, and I still hated it.

   Matilda was a demon from the start, the devil told it like it is to Ambro ("virtuous from vanity, not principle" NICE ONE, SATAN), there was some nun-murder and some torture, but the plot point I'd rather focus on is Agnes.

   Agnes! I was genuinely sorrowful for her and her baby, and rather surprised when MLew didn't condemn her to a fate like Antonia's. Agnes had sex and got pregnant before she was married and still went on to live a long and happy life? What? Does this...happen? In books? Apparently it does, and it makes me glad. And she has a new pal in Virginia, and if there's one thing I love it's friendship.

   Even though Agnes escaped her miry pit, I still want to give MLew a resounding double-punch in the chest.

like so.

  Also: MLew can't make up his mind when it comes to suffering due to grief, and men seem to be much more susceptible to it than women. Agnes' baby was literally rotting in her arms, but she recovered way before Lorenzo. What's your deal, MLew?

   AND WE'RE DONE, well done, well done. A hundred thank-yous go to Alice, readalong organizing queen. Readalongs 4eva.

8 comments:

  1. MLew is not subtle re: "Virgin"ia

    Agnes did have to give a little speech about although she sinned (with him) she'll be a good wife to him in the future. And not a whore anymore, I guess? Excuse me, he was there also! I get so mad at this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are VERY right, re:Agnes' dumb speech. I mean, come on, she didn't impregnate herself. That bit was infuriating, but I'm still glad Agnes got to have a happy life post-dead baby and nun torture.

      Delete
    2. Yes, that line "But let not my husband, because he once conquered my virtue, doubt the propriety of my future conduct." was what infuriated me most in the whole book. Belle van Zuylen/Isabelle de Charrière already criticized such men's thinking (and actions) 30 years before The Monk was published.

      Agnes and her baby was about the only thing (with Antonia's pleading) that really affected me in this book. For the rest I thought it was great fun.

      Delete
    3. Agnes and her baby was so bleak and sorrowful, it would be hard not to be affected. Same thing with Antonia. Just two horrible situations.

      Delete
  2. Ahaha, this whole post! I am ALWAYS happy for LotR gifs (the books...not so much. Sorry)

    You know, I never thought of the fact that MLew doesn't force Agnes to die for her sins. I guess she did suffer a LOT and there was that whole Raymond story about how it was truly love and sort of his fault and all these other caveats to why it's OK she didn't die. But still, good point, it's kinda surprising she was sacrificed as well.

    I know this comment is getting long, but I have watched that last gif 100 times now and wtf kind of punch is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did a hell of a lot of suffering, and gave a speech about how she wouldn't be slutty anymore (?) but WHAT ABOUT RAYMOND, who also compromised his "virtue"? He doesn't have to promise not to run around on her? UGH. But still, she got to live.

      It's the best type of punch.

      Delete
  3. How is it possible that we didn't become internet friends MUCH SOONER? Alice and I talk about how great The Prince of Egypt is, like, at least thrice a year. The Plagues song! It's so good! Once I called you brother! Once I thought the chance to make you laugh / Was all I ever wanted!

    I believe that the solution to your mystery about grief and gender is that Matthew Lewis legitimately does not think lady-feelings matter. Different times!

    And finally, I am currently engaged in talking my sister and brother-in-law into a Lord of the Rings marathon rewatch. We haven't done one in so, so many years. Has to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AND EVEN NOW, I WISH THAT GOD HAS CHOSE ANOTHER, SERVING AS YOUR FOE ON HIS BEHALF IS THE LAST THING THAT I WANTED

      Delete