9.18.2015

"I always wanted to be a Tenenbaum"


   And the movies from the previous guessing post are:
  • Bottle Rocket (96)
  • Dumb and Dumber (94)
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (89)
  • Rebecca (40)
  • The Royal Tenenbaums (01)
  Bottle Rocket is thoroughly delightful. It includes Baby Owen Wilson, Baby Luke Wilson, and inept criminality, and I was immediately enamoured. It's Wes Anderson's first movie, and the first Wes Anderson I've seen. I had been told by multiple people that I would enjoy Wes Anderson and you know what? They weren't wrong. And let's face it "I can't focus unless the gun is on the table" is a great line.

   Dumb and Dumber remains hilarious but do not, I repeat, DO NOT, watch the version with six extra minutes of movie because those six minutes soiled the movie, the experience, and my brain. The first time I ever saw Dumb and Dumber there was a near disaster involving a VHS-eating VCR, and we had to conduct some edge of your seat VCR surgery but it all came out alright in the end. This movie makes me guffaw.

   You may remember from last time I posted about movies that I have a serious dearth of Sean Connery in my movie-watching history. And so, the Sean Connery Project with my boyfriend, of which Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was the second selection. And guess what: this movie is WAY better than The Temple of Doom! It's funny! It has tanks! Sean Connery is a bumbling ham who delights in tomfoolery! It made me want to watch Indiana Jones and the Raiders Lost Ark! I'm sure if I really wanted to I could pull some sort of academic reflection out of my hat about this movie but honestly? It's just a fun romp.

   If you have not seen Rebecca you need to stop reading this blog post and go watch it immediately, this is not a drill. Rebecca is one of my absolute favourite movies, it has nary a flaw. AND if you have seen the movie but haven't read the book you ALSO need to take some remedial action. Basically: Rebecca is so good and Daphne du Maurier is a friggen GENIUS. And this movie is perfectly cast AND is top three Hitchcock. REBECCA FOREVER. 

   Last but not least, The Royal Tenenbaums. After the resounding success of Bottle Rocket I was sold on Wes Anderson and we moved on to The Royal Tenebaums and it was equally delightful, but not as light-hearted and gentle. I get the feeling that Wes Anderson just wants to be kind to his characters. ALSO: the house the Tenenbaums live in? Gorgeous. This was a monumentally satisfactory run of movies.

2 comments:

  1. HAVE WE TALKED ABOUT REBECCA THE MUSICAL here wait here's the "I am Mrs de Winter now" scene with Mrs Danvers IT'S SO GREAT.

    https://youtu.be/BjFDE2iG3iI?t=1m53s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. UMMMMM, WHAAAAAAAT?! REBECCA MUSICAL?????? I am so grateful to you for this introduction.

      I don't even know German and that song made me want to pump my fist in the air. The "I am Mrs de Winter now" scene in the movie is SO FREAKING GOOD, and this song is great as well.

      P.S. please please PLEASE tell me you've read the book. If not, get on that STAT.

      Delete