9.02.2015

August, or, What I Have Been Doing Instead of Reading

I almost barged in on this Big Horned Sheep Club

   August meant going to camp for ten days, seeing my cousin get married, being sick for awhile, watching more movies than usual, soaking in some natural hot springs, not climbing enough, saying goodbye-for-now to a good friend, eating a great deal of BBQ, reuniting with a far-flung friend, and, in general, having a truly lovely month. Perhaps I did not read very much, but August was genuinely good. It is now September, which means settling into a fall routine and seeing pals go to different cities for school. It's bittersweet, but I love the fall.

   Let's get to the meat of this post. What did I read in August?
  • Fight Club / Chuck Palahniuk: I reviewed this one, sort of. Four stars!
  • Chew, v. 4 / John Layman, Rob Guillory: I am getting progressively less thrilled by this series but I will give it a couple more chances, I guess. I currently have volume five out from the library, but if it ain't good I am DONE.
  • Rat Queens, v. 1 / Kurtis J. Wiebe, Roc Upchurch: YES PLEASE MORE RAT QUEENS ALSO "ROC UPCHURCH" IS THE BEST NAME EVER.
  • The Five Love Languages / Gary Chapman: SURE, this book is pretty hokey and pretty basic, but it is also useful and has some good reminders, etc. WHATEVER.
   It's not much, but I am satisfied with it. Maybe I didn't read a ton, and maybe I didn't make much progress in the books I have been halfway through for far too long, but I am content with the amount I did read and the amount I accomplished.  I can feel myself coming out of this latest reading slump and into the light.

   I've started reading The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up due to PEER PRESSURE, and it is quite good so far, I guess people were right. I've been sloooowly savouring Ernest Shackleton's South, and surprise: I still love Antarctic exploration with an undying fervour. I still haven't finished Bad Feminist, please don't judge me.

   ALSO: I cleaned two of my rings because apparently hot springs + silver = amazingly fast tarnishing, and WOW they look so pretty and shiny, and I didn't realize that they'd gotten dirty/tarnishy in the course of their lives, and consider this a general recommendation to clean your jewelry, you won't regret it I promise. ALSO did you know that if you line a bowl with aluminum foil and put your silver rings in it along with some baking soda and then pour boiling water over them that your rings will MIRACULOUSLY CLEAN THEMSELVES before your very eyes? This is a weird addendum to a bookish post but I am looking at my nice clean rings and they are just SO SHINY, I want all of you to experience this joy. Both hot springs and cleaning your silver come highly recommended, you heard it here first.

I luv 2 climb

4 comments:

  1. Wooooow what a busy month! Hahaha I remember your "sort of review" on Fight Club, and I plan on doing a couple "sort of reviews" as well! I still have to read Chew, and I wonder if I'll be able to stomach it!

    ... and I never thought I'd learn about jewelry/housecleaning tips from a book blog, so thanks for teaching me how to be a better adult! *high five*

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOOK AT THOSE SHEEP LOOK AT THEM

    "I still haven't finished Bad Feminist, please don't judge me." Do not even worry about it. She is ok-not-completely-great.

    ALSO I just finished vol 4 of Chew and I like the series enough to keep going, but they're also SO short because of the reliance on picture over text, so I'm glad I'm not buying them, but instead librarying them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know this information about polishing things. I have been polishing my silver things with toothpaste. But, like, not very regularly. I actually should polish up my Julian of Norwich necklace, which I expect is way grubbier than I realize, as I wear it litrally every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have also been told to read that tidy-up book, by people that have otherwise not recommended books. Is there something with that book where in addition to keeping stuff clean you have to tell eeeeeeerveryone to read it? (Or maybe it's just good. I should probably read it, I just don't want to be told I have to clean [even though I totally have to clean]).

    ReplyDelete