6.02.2015

Reading in May


   JUNE IS BUSTING OUT ALL OVER, but what did I read in May? Behold:
  • The Sister's Brothers / Patrick deWitt: SO GOOD, READ IT NOW. 
  • Ms Marvel, v.1 : No Normal / G. Willow Wilson, Adrain Alphona: yes, yes, yes, yes to everything happening here. 
  • A Bunch of Pretty Things I Did Not Buy / Sarah Lazarovich: this book is very short and quite insightful and includes delightful illustrations, I recommend it. 
  • Y: The Last Man, v. 1-2 / Brian K. Vaughan, Pia Guerra, Jose Marzan Jr: I was somewhat worried about reading this story again, but surprise: it's still good! I'm really quite pleased. I'm going to keep going through it. 
  • One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich / Alexander Solzhenitsyn: I have a lot of thoughts about this book so I am going to review it eventually. 
  • Blindness / Jose Saramago: INTENSE. A bit complicated to talk about; there is a lot that happens in this book. Alley at What Red Read reviewed it, which convinced me to read it. I listened to it as an audiobook, which with the lack of quotation marks seems to have been a good choice. 
  • The Amber Spyglass / Philip Pullman: absolutely bonkers and not in a good way. Philip Pullman, what is your DEAL. 
  • The Year of Magical Thinking / Joan Didion: keepin' it sad. 
   Omgosh that's a lot of reading. Here's some other things I did in May: climbed a bunch of rocks but took no pictures of it. Outdoor climbing is becoming more and more feasible as the weather gets its act together, which means I am in the mountains more and more often. I also climbed some 5.10a routes at the gym and my arms and back are getting HUGE so all in all I love climbing and climbing is great. I was at Grassi Lakes climbing just the other day and everything was beautiful (here I advise a quick image search for Grassi Lakes, because they are quite lovely). 

   Remember in April's wrap-up when I said that the fires would start soon? I was right, unfortunately. There's a province-wide fire ban in Alberta at the moment, and there have been some smoky mornings in the past couple weeks. Grass fires, mostly, if my nose is right. 

   JUNE, what will you bring me? Obvi: heaps o' climbing. But also! Poker nights! BBQs! Reading! More school! Cold-brew coffee! Hopefully some camping! Right now I have seven books on my currently-reading shelf on Good Reads. Oops? 

6 comments:

  1. Look at all the reading you did!! Well done

    Yaaaaay Blindness and yes, I think your choice to go audiobook with that was the right choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you, praise the Lord for comics and audiobooks, am I right?

      It was great! I too was perturbed by the sheer amount of excrement in it.

      Delete
  2. OO I know what you should read in June, you should read Saga in June. Have you already read Saga? It's ruhlly good. It's by the same guy who wrote Y: The Last Man, and you don't have to be on high alert for Sexism Fails all the time, and the art is super beautiful. READ THAT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am DEFINITELY on the Saga train. I'm all about it. Obviously I'm going to read anything with a character like Lying Cat in it.

      Y: The Last Man might be treading on thin ice, but I gotta hand to to Brian K Vaughan, he doesn't fall into the only-male-characters hole. A lot of his female characters are flat or trope-y, but there are SO MANY of them.

      Delete
  3. BUG'S LIFE GIF

    Also, The Amber Spyglass can suck it. I think I read it when I was like 22 and yeah, my main comment was "WHAT'S YOUR DAMAGE, PULLMAN." Something happened to him. That's all I'm sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT WAS SO RIDICULOUS. And it just kept escalating! And the plot was so all over the place! I thought that it would be like Opposite Land Narnia but NO. C.S. Lewis is subtle in comparison to Philip Pullman. UGH. At least I can finally check His Dark Materials off on reading lists.

      Delete