5.16.2015

OMGOSH IT'S MINITHON TIME


   Will I participate in this season's eight hour mini opus of mini foods and mini books? YES I THINK I WILL. I have a clear Saturday and it looks like it's going to be about 11 degrees and raining so really, what better to do with my time than eat tiny croissants and read? The lovely Tika at Reading the Bricks is hosting and everything is awesome.

   And now to the most important part of the day: the snacks. I have the aforementioned croissants, along with, of course, mini coffee. I can see baby carrots in my future, as well as a smoothie which is mini because it is a mixture of very small bits of fruit. Also, obviously, there will be crackers and cheese. Maybe crackers with cheese melted onto them! OMGOSH. The miniest of pizzas!

I will savor my snacks
   But what books will I be delving into? Let me tell you:


  • Vampires in the Lemon Grove / Karen Russell
   A book of short stories that I have been in the middle of for way too long, which I intend to read at least one story out of, maybe less, who knows, it's minithon day. Mini justification? SHORT STORIES, don't even have to reach for it. Boo-yeah. 


  • Why Humans Like to Cry / Michael R. Trimble
   I have this book from the library and I have high hopes for it. Maybe too high. TELL ME WHY I CRY, MICHAEL R TRIMBLE. Mini justification: tears are mini amounts of water.


  • The Amber Spyglass / Philip Pullman
   Audiobooks! I love 'em. I absolutely need to finally finish reading this series, it is a crying shame that I haven't yet. Once in library school we had to do a presentation "creatively" (our instructor gave us the WORST assignment descriptions) and one of my pals who we (lovingly) described as "Jon the smarmy bastard" decided that it was his duty to dress up as Lyra, bring a stuffie to school, and do his presentation AS LYRA it was amazing. Mini justification: audiobooks take a mini amount of effort to read! Children are teacup humans! I'm sure Pantalaimon turned into a moth or something at some point (it's been awhile since I read the first two)! 

   I also have episodes of Elementary to watch in case the reading gets to be just too much, and a great deal of tea, and OH, the naps I might have. The day is just BURSTING with possibilities. Also! My twitter handle is @olyvianne. I'm stoked to minithon with you, you beautiful sunbeams.

10 comments:

  1. HURRAH MINITHON! This is seriously one of my favorite days of the year. Which is, I admit, a little silly considering I could eat food and read all day pretty much *any* weekend. But there it is.

    Excellent justifications, excellent GIFs, really just A+ all around. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got so excited for it, even while I realized that I could spend every weekend snacking and reading if I wanted to. Minithon is still glorious.

      Thank you, thank you, one does one's best.

      Delete
  2. smoothie = small bits of fruit WELL DONE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU. Smoothies are just too good to pass up.

      Delete
  3. Hip hip! Great book lineup! And thank you for bringing that Scully gif into our lives. Happy 'thonning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man I have so many versions of that gif, you have NO IDEA. I'm always on the lookout for a chance to use them.

      Delete
  4. Ahahahahahah mini amounts of water. You are a PRO at mini justifications, I tell you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you! Ha, I have yet to crack it open but I am SURE I will at least look at the cover today.

      Delete
  5. 11 DEGREES IS NOT THE SAME HERE AS THERE

    Agghhhhhh I hate Amber Spyglass so much, but I am open to hearing your opinion on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT you Americans and your bonkers temperature measurements. 11 degrees = 52 degrees. SLIGHTLY CHILLY. Except that to me, 52 sounds way unpleasant. I've been in minus 52 and I don't even want to imagine what plus 52 would feel like (skin-meltingly hot).

      I am partway through it now and for someone who is always dragging the Narnia books through the mud Philip Pullman is PREEETTY heavy-handed with his anti-religion-ness.

      Delete