5.06.2015

April's Reading

   I read waaaaaay more in April than I thought I did, primarily due to the wonderful world of audiobooks. Honestly, if it weren't for audiobooks and short memoirs I would've read very little, probably just Villette (because of grand ol' readalong) and Steelheart (because of my low, low level of self-control when it comes to science fiction). I also wrote something like 7500 words for school and who knows how many on here AS WELL AS going to Skaha and climbing so uhhh, what's with you April? I'm definitely not complaining; did you somehow stretch to fit everything I wanted to do??? Are you bigger on the inside than on the outside?

Mary Poppins is a Time Lord
   Here's what I read:

  • Girl in the Dark / Anna Lyndsey: rife with choice metaphors. Quick, very interesting. 
  • Villette / Charlotte Bronte: this was...an experience. Readalong? Delightful. This book? All over the place but good, and full of evocative writing. Often frustrating, but also moving. We are all Lucy Snowe and Lucy Snowe is all of us, in various ways.  
  • Steelheart / Brandon Sanderson: I'VE SEEN STEELHEART BLEED
  • The Art of Communicating / Thich Nacht Hanh: useful! Practical! I took a mindful breath just now!
  • I Feel Bad About My Neck / Nora Ephron: one essay is mostly about hair removal and one is mostly about death! What? 
  • Blue Nights /Joan Didion: I read about grief a lot? 

   WHAT WILL MAY HOLD? I can tell you what it'll hold: Cultural Policy in Canada, Media Ethics, Children in Media, and Psychology and the Mass Media. Hooray for summer semesters? BUT it won't be all schoolin' all the time, since: a) it is nigh on summer and I got hella rocks to climb, b) my cousin lent me her banjo while she is travelling I HAVE A BANJO (for a couple months), c) I got some serious comics-reading to do, and d) there are cliffs to jump off of (into water, of course), lakes to swim in, hikes to go on, bicycles to ride, fires to light (in a fire pit of course), tents to sleep in, and SO ON. I adore summer. The days are long, the nights are short, the sun is hot. There will probably be a drought this year here in Alberta which is less awesome than all these other things, especially since drought = forest fires, BUT summer is great nonetheless and May is the beginning of summer. I say this even though is snowed a bit last weekend, and there is more snow in the forecast.

2 comments:

  1. Wait...do you PLAY the banjo? Because I understand it is v. tricky.

    Speaking of secret Timelords, yes: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb121dLOLm1qimvxjo1_500.png

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If by "play banjo" you mean "sit with knitted brow, plucking strings slowly, and hoping that I will one day succeed in playing an actual song," then yes: I totally play the banjo.

      OMGosh Ms Frizzle and Mary Poppins as Time Lords this is my new favorite thing.

      Delete