3.24.2015

Villette 21-26, "Happiness is not a potato"


   I hope I was supposed to read to chapter 26, because I did. There's a lot going on in these chapters; we get a fairly long treatise on the stigma surrounding mental illness (and this is still a problem! crazy), we get the return of Polly and her papa, we get (well, at least I get) convinced that Dr John is not a good match for Lucy Snowe and is indeed weirdly attracted to teenage girls, we get M Paul yelling at everyone until they cry and then getting flustered about it, we get some really lovely descriptions of weather, AND we get MORE ragging on Cleopatra, to which I take offense (more on this later, because I cannot resist).

   Ginevra Fanshawe has taken to calling Lucy Snowe "Timon", which I am sure meant something different but this is the picture I have in my head:

one of the best comedic editing moments known to man
   "I had great pleasure in reading a few books, but not many: preferring always those on whose style or sentiment the writer's individual nature was plainly stamped; flagging inevitably over characterless books, however clever and meritorious"
   I get the feeling that CB is throwing some very specific shade here. Somebody has been saying something about her books and she is full of indignation. You sure showed 'em, Char.

if you haven't seen Double Indemnity you need to RIGHT NOW
   "M Paul was not at all a good little man, thought he had good points" IS LOVE IN THE AIR (for real this time)???? Poor Lucy is so thoroughly upset over Dr John and she can sense his regard for Polly (which, I maintain, is creepy. Dr John you are a 30 year old man, stop chasing after teenagers) and she buried the letters and she cries a lot and I just want everything to turn out okay for Lucy Snowe but I am sort of feeling like it won't because Charlotte Bronte herself was so sad and so fed up with the world. Oh Charlotte Bronte, if only I could go back in time and be your friend and give you a hug and feed you tea and talk about how much we love interesting weather.

"what is love? baby don't hurt me" - Lucy Snowe
   I'm not one for knee-jerk Freudian interpretations but I have been reading a lot of academic film criticism lately and omgosh Dr John has an Oedipus complex and he has it bad. Also if we go further along this line, Ginevra would probably represent the id and Polly would be the superego. Polly is all about control and bearing, and Ginevra is all about pleasure and flirting and being plump. They'd be the id and superego to Dr John's ego, but who knows about Lucy Snowe herself. Okay, enough of this, even I am rolling my eyes.

   AND NOW for some Cleopatra talk (will this become a weekly feature? Only time will tell). I feel pretty strongly about historical Egyptian ladies so feel free to skip this bit if that's not your thing. Lucy Snowe sometimes talks about being uneducated, and it really comes through here, even though she is always dropping historical and literary references elsewhere. Cleopatra was far from the indolent and lazy person that LS has built up in her head, and far from the love-lorn and weak characterization that I think she sometimes gets nowadays. Cleopatra was dealt a pretty bad hand and did really well with it. When LS was talking about Cleopatra lacking any strength of purpose, I remembered another of my favourite paintings of Cleopatra. Nota bene:

you should probably click on this to see it larger
   Here we have Cleopatra testing poisons on condemned prisoners to see which ones will deliver the most painless death. She had realized that if things went wrong they would go completely wrong, and was preparing for her eventual demise. It may or may not be a true story, much like the story of the asp, but just look at her. OMGosh, Lucy Snowe. You would have SO MUCH respect for Cleopatra if you actually knew about her. As it turns out, asp venom does not always prove fatal and when it does it's pretty agonizing, so Cleopatra probably used a combo of poisons including hemlock, of Socrates-suicide fame. THE MORE YOU KNOW. 

6 comments:

  1. I am not liking M Paul, though I was never really on the bandwagon, probably cos of the locking in the attic thing. Wait, maybe CB didn't mean for that to be a thing cos she thinks being locked in attics isn't so bad, hence this being a pretty nice thing to do for Bertha.

    I do not think Lucy is going to end up with DJ. I'm pretty sure he and Polly are going to end up together. Lucy will be off on her own prob because CB is super depressing right now. I LOVE your Freudian analysis of DJ, Ginevra, Polly, and his mom. And Lucy is...not there.

    Cleo looks pretty blase about how those poisons are working out. Or maybe it's more of a "shit, THAT doesn't look painless. Ugh back to the drawing board."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know what to think of M Paul. I like that he challenges Lucy instead of using her, but he's got some issues. CB has a thing for attics and a thing for brooding/mean dudes, apparently.

      I am quite certain Lucy and DJ do not feel the same way about one another. During Lucy's whole Reason vs Feeling time, I definitely said to myself "this is the id versus the superego. Lucy's superego is extremely harsh, which explains her neurosis, and might lead her into self-destructive behaviours...oh my word I don't even buy Freud very much." A lot of Freud's ideas are hogwash but who wouldn't ascribe Oedipal overtones to Titania/Bottom references, you know? This is what I get for taking psychology courses and film/media/communication courses at the same time.

      Cleo is all "well, time to find a new combo, that's not how I want to die, constant vigilance" and she's done this so often that it doesn't even bother her maid but it DOES bother the men who are taking the body away and OH BOY. Cleopatra. She ALSO insisted on being way more educated than people in her family had been before her (they didn't even speak Egyptian, she spoke several languages) and she had access to the friggen Library of Alexandria so this woman had some SERIOUS book-learning (scroll-learning?).

      Delete
  2. Don't get bad at me BUT? I think I don't want to be Charlotte Bronte's friend. I think she'd be too crazy to be friends with, and you'd end up spending all your time talking about crazy shit that didn't make any sense, instead of doing friend activities like gossiping about the neighbors or whatever. I mean, just based on this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ain't mad. It is likely that she would be one of those friends who is somewhat exhausting and a little of whose company would go a long way. BUT, I think she was suffering the lack of human company. She'd be intense and probably confusing and I just wish she'd had the oppourtunity to have some more joy in her life; judging by this book and the CB history Alice has been giving us, her life was dour to say the least.

      Delete
  3. What a perfect summary of what we read! I think if we were all BFFs with Charlotte, she would have been a much happier person... but then she would write with those super deep, emphatic, intense feels. I love your Cleo 101s - please let this be a regular thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so kind!

      And so true, if she wasn't full of misery then would she have nothing to write? Who knows. Although she had suffered through the death of all of her siblings so she'd probably still have some PRETTY intense feelings going on.

      Thank you again! Ha, alas I've gone through next week's reading allotment and there is nary a mention of Cleo. Maybe she'll show up again near the end of the book, and I can talk about More Reasons Cleo is Awesome and Lucy is Wrong.

      Delete