3.04.2015

Silver Linings Playbook / Matthew Quick


   There aren't many things in the book-reading world that annoy me more than movie tie-in editions where the cover of the book is the same as the promotional material for the movie. Why must this happen? 

   Silver Linings Playbook the movie is enjoyable and features good performances from all, however I don't think it deserved as many Oscar nominations as it got but the Academy Awards are pretty stupid so no surprise there (Argo won best picture that year, and while it is amazingly dismissive of Canadians it's still a good flick). Silver Linings Playbook the book is not as good as the movie, which may seem like a thing a crazy person would say, but I stand by it. The book is fairly boring and formulaic, and really? Just don't bother. It's forgettable. It's possible that I would like this book more if I knew anything about football or cared about football, but I don't.

   If you want a more in depth review than "meh, don't bother", definitely take yourself over to the Book Fight podcast (which I very much enjoy but might offend some with its salty language) and listen to the episode where they talk about it: here is the link. Notably, they discuss the representation of race, mental illness, and therapy in the book, and compare the tome to airport hot dogs.

   My "Movies That Are Better Than The Book" list is now two entries long:
  1. Princess Diaries
  2. Silver Linings Playbook
   Why did I read Princess Diaries? Honestly, I have no idea. It was a weird time.

No comments:

Post a Comment