1.03.2015

best of 2014: books

this gif has nothing to do with this post but I couldn't resist it
   Oh, the difficulty of picking out a mere few books from a year that had a spate of good reads. I read quite a bit this year and I'd probably recommend all of it (but not necessarily to everyone). And so: four stand-out numbers from the year:
   Homage to Catalonia was by turns hilarious, heart-breaking, poignant, confusing, gentle, and passionate. I recommend it to one and all. If you read my post about Neverhome you know how I feel about it already, and I take none of it back. So good. I didn't write about Antarctica because most of the people I know are probably sick of hearing about my deep and abiding love for our southernmost continent and my ongoing desire to winter over at the South Pole despite my struggles with a lack of vitamin D. BUT if you want to read an excellent tome about past and present life in Antarctica with quite a bit of awesome science thrown in, read Gabrielle Walker's book. Sometimes I forget that I love Cormac McCarthy, until I pick up one of his books and say "WHAAAAAAAAT, this is amazing" and then proceed to speak in staccato sentences for the duration of my reading time. Go forth and read these books, but maybe skip the McCarthy if you are sensitive to violence.

   OKAY, here it is, the LIST. What I read in 2014, in the order I read them, sans comment because uuuugh that would take forevvvver and this post would be roughly 18 million words long. An * means it is a re-read, italics means non-fiction, underlined means comics.
  1. Jerusalem / Guy Delisle
  2. *Hunger Games / Suzanne Collins
  3. Fatale v. 1-3 / Ed Brubaker, Sean Phillips
  4. The Girls of Murder City / Douglas Perry
  5. *Catching Fire / Suzanne Collins
  6. A User's Guide to Neglectful Parenting / Guy Delisle
  7. Book of a Thousand Days / Shannon Hale
  8. Rabid / Bill Wasik and Monica Murphy
  9. The Rook / Daniel O'Malley
  10. Three Cups of Deceit / John Krakauer
  11. X-Files Season 10 v. 1 / Joe Harris
  12. Attachments / Rainbow Rowell
  13. Locke and Key v. 6 / Joe Hill, Gabriel Rodriguez
  14. I Am Legend / Richard Matheson
  15. How to Lie With Statistics / Darrell Huff
  16. *Siddhartha / Herman Hesse
  17. The Haunting of Hill House / Shirley Jackson
  18. The Virgin Suicides / Jeffrey Eugenides 
  19. At The Mountains of Madness / HP Lovecraft
  20. The Never List / Koethi Zan
  21. Shadows / Robin McKinley
  22. A Life in Stitches / Rachael Herron
  23. And Then There Were None / Agatha Christie
  24. Anne of Windy Poplars / LM Montgomery
  25. Fully Present / Sue Smalley, Diana Winston
  26. Batman: The Dark KNight Returns / Frank Miller, et al
  27. In The After / Demitria Lunetta
  28. Fun Home / Alison Bechdel
  29. Boxers and Saints / Gene Luen Yang
  30. The Madman's Daughter / Megan Shepherd
  31. The Bear / Claire Cameron
  32. Never Let Me Go / Kazuo Ishiguro
  33. The Diary of Edward the Hamster, 1990-1990 / Miriam Elia, Ezra Elia
  34. Redefining Girly / Melissa Atkins Wardy
  35. David and Goliath / Malcolm Gladwell
  36. The Rose That Grew From Concrete / Tupac Shakur
  37. The Old Man and the Sea / Ernest Hemingway
  38. The Talented Mr Ripley / Patricia Highsmith
  39. Drive / James Sallis
  40. No Country for Old Men / Cormac McCarthy
  41. Good Bones / Margaret Atwood
  42. The Spire / William Golding
  43. The Diet Trap / Jason Lillis
  44. Steppenwolf / Herman Hesse
  45. Foundation and Empire / Isaac Asimov
  46. The Remains of the Day / Kazuo Ishiguro
  47. *Perelandra / CS Lewis
  48. The Turn of the Screw / Henry James
  49. The Practice of the Presence of God / Brother Lawrence
  50. The Case for the Psalms / NT Wright
  51. Antarctica / Gabrielle Walker
  52. I Capture the Castle / Dodie Smith
  53. Invasion of the Body Snatchers / Jack Finney
  54. True Grit / Charles Portis
  55. Neverhome / Laird Hunt
  56. The Shining / Stephen King
  57. Any Empire / Nate Powell
  58. Love Does / Bob Goff
  59. Relish / Lucy Knisley
  60. What Every Body is Saying / Joe Navarro
  61. Lexicon / Max Barry
  62. Homage to Catalonia / George Orwell
  63. The Pearl / John Steinbeck
  64. The Imperfect Board Member / Jim Brown
  65. Herland / Charlotte Perkins Gilman
  66. *Inkheart / Cornelia Funke
  67. *Beauty / Robin McKinley
  68. The Ocean at the End of the Lane / Neil Gaiman
  69. How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less / Sarah Glidden 
   And there you have it! My initial goal for the year was to read at least 52 books, and I am pleased to say that I exceeded it by 17 books. This is the most books I've ever read in one year; I'm excited to see what 2015 brings.

   Some notable bookish things from 2014:
  • "Discovered" Kazuo Ishiguro and Jeffery Eugenides, finally finally. 
  • Kept up with reading nonfiction
  • Read more about the American Civil War era than I ever have in my life (???)
  • Became more and more comfortable with tossing books I am not enjoying or getting anything out of
  •  Participated in a Mini Readathon, which was delightful.
  • Read a great deal about feminism and communication, in non-book form
  • This isn't bookish but I finally have picked up a guitar and am more determined than ever to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment