10.07.2013

canadiana


   A sense of literary Canadian duty has descended on me over the last couple of years. So far it has resulted in some delightful times with The Vinyl Cafe, a surprising revelation that I actually like Anne of Green Gables, and a regrettable foray into the world of Atwood.

   Yes, yes, I know, I know, I know, "regrettable"?!?!?!?!?!?!??! BUT IT'S ATWOOD. I gave her a fair chance, I read Handmaid's Tale, I was thoroughly unimpressed. I admit I was predisposed to be underwhelmed. From a reading of Handmaid's Tale, I do not understand the Atwood mania that holds onto our country. However, after reading Anne of Green Gables and changing my tune from "ugh so much Anne" to "Anne is the best", I've been thinking that I ought to give Atwood another go. I don't know which of her books to read though. I feel a bit guilty over not liking Margaret Atwood.

   Anne of Green Gables really was surprisingly enjoyable. I was expecting something a bit trite and almost insipid, and instead got some top-notch character development, a good exploration of friendship, and genuinely funny/sad/clever stories. I've got to Anne of Windy Poplars now, and I'm just as enthralled as I was with the first book. I might work up the will to watch the mini-series again, even though I'm certain it doesn't come near to being as lovely as the books (but I will not go so far as to watch The Continuing Story. No sir.).

   There isn't much to say about Stuart McLean and The Vinyl Cafe other than "listen to the radio show/podcast, read the books, be delighted". Stuart McLean is an excellent story-teller, and the stories are gentle and clever.

   Honestly though, what Atwood should I attempt? I don't know very much about her.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. My wife has also read The Handmaid's Tale and disliked it, and was put off Atwood as a result. I have not read The Handmaid's Tale, but I did read The Blind Assassin, and I enjoyed it. I don't remember much about the book now, but I remember thinking "This is a fine book" and "Perhaps I have been unfairly prejudiced against Science Fiction". I haven't read any more Atwood since then (I blame Caroline) but I have read some Philip K Dick. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had Oryx and Crake recommended to me as well, maybe it's just Handmaid's Tale that no one likes. I'll have to put The Blind Assassin on my list, I love science fiction.

      Delete