I stopped recording what movies I watched this year when I got to 13, and let me assure you: I watched way more than 13 movies. And so I cannot tell you everything I watched, because I don't remember. BUT I can talk about a few that were notable enough for me to remember when I watched them. Sometimes I'm good at remembering plots and storylines, but not when I watched something, or with whom, etc. Like, my list says I watched 2001: Space Odyssey this year but I feel like I watched it absolute eons ago. Perhaps because this year was extremely long, and very full, and at parts surreal. A lot happened this past year, both to me personally and on the international stage. I also watched District 9, and let me tell you: it is very weird to watch a movie like District 9 amid calls for building a racist wall and deporting refugees. It hits close to home, is what I mean.
Here's a short list of some of the other movies and shows I remember watching:
- Thor: Ragnarok (17) delightful and genuinely funny, highly recommend. Gonna watch through Taiki Waititi's filmography, I think.
- The Monster (25) give me a silent movie and live organ music on Halloween or give me death.
- Hidden Figures (16) I've said it before and I'll say it again: this movie is required viewing.
- Contact (97) I loved this. I think it will become a movie I watch again and again. I love Space! I need a big sunhat! I want to read the book! Alright alright alright!
- Sunshine (07) this was the year of Space Movies, apparently.
- Hot Fuzz (07) turns out this movie is a) as delightful and funny as everyone has been saying for ten years, and b) chock a block with really good and inventive storytelling and jokes.
- Logan (17) the more I think about it the more I appreciate it. It's a logical progression from the previous X-Men movies, and a reflection of the current climate.
- Lion (16) I don't know what to say about this movie! It was very good, but everything I say feels irreverent somehow!
- Atomic Blonde (17) I will watch any movie that prominently features Charlize Theron kicking everyone's ass.
- The Fugitive (93) this one is in the canon for a reason, folks. I didn't kill my wife.
- The Castle (97) there's a joke from this movie in Thor: Ragnarok, that's how iconic it is.
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi (17) everyone who didn't like this movie can get stuffed. The last couple Star Wars movies have had the thesis "actually, war is bad" and I'm a fan.
- Stranger Things 2 (17) Joyce and Steve are the Moms of the Year 1984.
- The Good Place (S1) I have only seen season one so if someone spoils this show for me, just remember, I have a very special set of skills.
- Brooklyn-99 - this was often our mealtime-tv, and I think we've watched it through like three times now. I love B99.
- Parks and Recreation - the other day I saw someone on twitter say that they didn't like Parks and Rec and EXCUSE ME, how?
I probably also watched Mad Max: Fury Road, because how is it possible for anyone to go an entire year without viewing that absolute legend. I live, I die, I live again. We are not things.
As a final note: I CANNOT be the only person who sees this and thinks it was done on purpose: